What is Coronavirus and How can I Protect Myself?
Coronavirus has now spread to Nigeria and so far, there have been 12 confirmed cases of this disease in Lagos and Ekiti states. But what is this Coronavirus really about and how can you protect yourself and your family?
What is Coronavirus?
Coronavirus is a microscopic organism that infects humans and causes infection of the nose, throat, chest, and lungs. It is a cousin to the virus that causes common cold or flu. It originated in a city in China called Wuhan and then quickly spread around the world. So far, 250,602 people have contracted it and more than 10,254 deaths people have died from it.
How does Coronavirus Spread?
Coronavirus spreads when someone who has the virus in their body. When they cough, small droplets filled with the virus fly into the air and land on surfaces. Sometimes the droplets enter another person when they are coughed on directly. Usually though, when someone touches a surface that has the droplets on it and then goes to touch their ears, nose or mouth, the virus can then enter their body.
What does Coronavirus do in the body?
When the Coronavirus enters the body, it goes to the throat and the lungs and damages them and causes the disease called COVID-19 (this stands for COronaVIrus Disease - 2019). This first causes someone infected to have high body temperature, cough, and sore throat before then making it difficult to breathe when the virus reaches the lungs. Most young and healthy people who get the virus will feel this way and then quickly feel better after a few days because the body will fight the virus. However, older people, those who smoke or those who are already sick with another sickness will find it more difficult to fight the virus and can succumb and die from it.
How will I know if I may have Coronavirus?
If you notice that :
1. You are coughing a lot but there is no mucous coming from your cough (this is called a dry cough)
2. Your throat is paining you
3. Your chest is paining you
4. You are finding it difficult to breathe
5. Your body is feeling hot you may likely have Coronavirus and you should take prompt action that.
What should I do if I think I have Coronavirus?
If you have all or most (3 out of 5) of the things above, the best thing is for you to stay at home and keep away from people. Then call the Nigeria Center for Disease Control on 07032864444 or 080097000010 (toll-free). This is so they can send people to come and test to be sure if you have the virus or not. Try not to immediately go to the hospital, because if you do, you could end up infecting other innocent people in the hospital. You can also use the Chat with a Doctor feature in your RelianceHMO app or book an appointment with the Reliance Family Clinic to speak to a doctor from the comfort of your home without putting others at risk.
How do I Protect Myself from Coronavirus?
To reduce your chances of catching the virus you should :
1. Wash your hands often with soap and water for at least 20 seconds especially after you have been in a public place, or after blowing your nose, coughing, or sneezing
2. Use hand sanitizer regularly to sanitize your hand and rub them till they are dry
3. Try as much as possible not to touch your eyes, nose, and mouth with unwashed hands
4. Stay away from people who are sick, coughing or sneezing as much as you can
If you have any questions, feel free to comment below or send me a dm.